In 1916, the resort ceased functioning. That second hotel burned down in 1920. The property remained in the Jordan Family for many decades. The photographs below are the tombstones of the Jordans buried in Winchester, VA and were provided by a member of the Jordan Family. From 1916-1942 several owners tried in vain to reopen
In 1953, The Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity purchased the property on which they operated a Catholic Monastery and Seminary, then finally in 1972, the property was leased to Shalom et Benedictus for a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center for young people. That facility closed in 1999.
Greig D. W. Aitken and Tonie M. Wallace Aitken purchased the buildings and the 237 acres of property from the Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity in 2001. At first, the Catholic Church was reluctant to sell the land, but after much prayer and persuasion, finally agreed. Since then, Historic Jordan Springs serves as
Since 2008, John Rossi, chief investigator of Shenandoah Shadows and Director of Paranormal Events at Historic Jordan Springs has done extensive paranormal investigations of the building and the Devil’s Backbone and leads Paranormal Investigation Tours, as well as Overnight Investigations at the resort. These tours may also include a meet and greet in the pub,